Welcome to Rental! We wanted to let you know what’s new with the program and answer frequently asked questions. If you'd like to skip ahead, just click any of these links:
- What Hardware will I need?
- How do I set this up on my school's Network?
- Is this all PCI compliant?
- I have a legacy kiosk! What should I do with it?
- Is BookIt changing at all?
- Who's going to talk to my students about rental due dates and non-returned rentals?
- OK, I've got the RCA. How do I configure it?
Sidewalk has selected Windows 10-based tablets to power rental transactions. These compact stands are designed to sit right beside your registers and will facilitate rental transactions as part of checkout.
Hardware can be purchased from Sidewalk for $250/unit. This includes the tablet, stand, Ethernet adapter, and magnetic card reader. Sidewalk will slightly configure the devices before sending them to your store, and they typically take 15 - 20 business days to arrive.
If you’re unsure of how many Square Stands you’ll need, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager (CSM).
The tablets can connect to wireless networks out of the box. If a wired connection is required, the tablets have micro USB ports on them that can facilitate connection to a wired network with a micro USB to Ethernet adapter. These adapters are provided with your purchase.
The rental program requires an active network connection to provide up-to-date rental pricing, collect information, and process the rental for students. Ports required for the rental program to work are port 443 and 80.
PCI Compliance and Security
Security is one of Sidewalk’s highest priorities. We take very seriously the safeguarding and protection of sensitive information, especially payment and student information. Our website leverages both a Secure Sockets Lay and Transport Layer Security to ensure all data entered is protected. In fact, all traffic on Sidewalk’s network is SSL encrypted. Additionally all data stored on hard drives is encrypted and only accessible to designated users.
Sidewalk has several additional layers of security. All of our sites are PCI certified shortly after their deployment. Web development follows the industry standard secure coding guidelines found here. We also do routine penetration testing to ensure our servers and networks are properly secured.
An important aspect of PCI compliance is maintaining the security of the hardware where transactions take place. Because this hardware is located at and owned by your store, it is important for you to adhere to industry best practices and guidelines to make sure your hardware stays secure. These include:
- Connect your hardware only to secure networks that are protected by firewalls
- Don’t use default or easy to guess passwords to log into the device
- Restrict unauthorized users from accessing the device or it’s ports or installing software of any kind
- Never leave hardware unattended
- Keep your software up to date and install the latest security updates from Microsoft
- Lock up the hardware when not in use
If you’ve used our rental program in the past and still have kiosks in your store we will pay to have those shipped back to Sidewalk’s warehouse. Reach out to your CSM to arrange the shipping pickup. Sidewalk will no longer be supporting rentals on our legacy kiosks.
BookIt remains largely unchanged with this new hardware rollout. You will still use BookIt to look up student account, issue refunds, run reports, and manage retention and returns.
Student Communication and non-returns
Sidewalk will continue to manage the student communication surrounding their rentals. This includes the rental receipt (all receipts will be digital – no physical receipts will be printed by the hardware), return date reminders and overdue notices. Sidewalk will also continue to manage the forced purchases of books not returned.
Configuring the RCA
- Power up the unit and connect to the internet.
- Create your own user account (if configured by Sidewalk, the username will be “user” and the password “bookstore”). Since the bookstore owns these units, you can change this at any time.
- If you decide to do the software updates now, it will take anywhere from 2-4 hours to complete.
- Once you are logged in, setting up the tablet is as simple as saving the link inside of an internet browser.
- Sidewalk’s recommendation is to download Google Chrome and change the homepage the custom URL provided to your store by Sidewalk.
Did we miss your question? Bummer! Reach out to your Customer Success Manager or contact Sidewalk Support with anything you need. We'll get you taken care of.